Plaque is a sticky film that will cause tooth decay and disease without removal. The best way to prevent plaque buildup has been debated for years. Some people are team electric while others are team manual…
The Pros of Electric Toothbrushes:
- Timed brushing cycles to ensure you are brushing for the right time.
- Some light up, play music, sync to an app, etc. which studies have shown certain features engage people into brushing more frequently and adequately. In addition, children are fonder of dental hygiene when it seems more entertaining and less of a chore.
- Studies show that after 3 months of consecutive use, gum disease reduced by 11%.
- Electric toothbrushes are oscillating which means the brush moves in a circular motion. This automatic motion is beneficial to those who have limited mobility (i.e. arthritis).
- The brushes are more environmentally friendly! Instead of throwing the whole thing away, only the brush tip needs to be replaced.
The Cons of Electric Toothbrushes:
- The initial investment is greater than the manual competitor. The price range varies depending on the quality and brand. The replacement brush tip is another cost you need to keep in mind.
- The packaging can be bulky and hard to travel with. Depending on the type, some electric toothbrushes plug in to charge or run off batteries. This feature can make the toothbrush a little more harder to pack and use on the go.
The Pros of Manual Toothbrushes:
- Manual toothbrushes are a lot cheaper.
- The individual has more control over the brushing techniques, speed, and pressure.
- Replacements can be found at almost any store.
- Manual brushes come in many shapes, sizes, and colors.
The Cons of Manual Toothbrushes:
- People are prone to brushing too aggressive with manual toothbrushes. Excessive pressure can damage your gums and teeth.
- Some manual toothbrushes do not have soft bristles.
Prior to buying a toothbrush, make sure to find one that best matches your dental needs. At the end of the day, poor oral health is prevented by brushing twice a day for two minutes and flossing frequently – any soft bristled toothbrush used in circular motions will get the job done!
CONTACT US FOR MORE INFORMATION
MyDentalTampa.com wants to make you smile.
Office Call: 813-908-3636
Office Text: 813-624-5036
Or find us on Facebook or Instagram